What does everyone think of the new blog layout?
I get ADD with things, and just like I will want to rearrange furniture sporadically, I wanted to change the ol' blog background.
It's another Monday, and like promised, it will be a Memorable Monday... so here's a good story from 2004:
I had the greatest dorm-mates my freshman year of college. We were ridiculous. My roommate was a girl from Romania named Cristina who was incredibly fashionable and mature. I thought she hung the moon. And her mom would send her back with amazing Hungarian food. My best friend/other half was a girl named Heather from down the hall who I met during sorority rush and we ended up being pledge sisters together. She was spontaneous and exciting and turned even trips to the dining hall into adventures. Literally. And we both loved Andrew Lloyd Webber.
I lived in a co-ed dorm called Boggs Hall. This is where they put all the sophomores/overflow Honors students that didn't get into Myers. It was old and creepy but it felt like home and hey, we had a sink in our room! (Author's aside: I just got really nostalgic thinking about Boggs Hall... the way it smelled, our decorations, friends, adventures... sleeping with the windows open, running to OHouse for food. The Jittery Joes right next door that served the best chai lattes of my life. My brain remembers it so vividly! It's hard to think that was seven years ago. SEVEN.)
Okay back to our adventures. My freshman year was full of funny things, honestly. We were wild and crazy and not like in a drunken stupor kind of way. Sober, ridiculous fun.
One time, coming home from the dining hall, Cristina and Heather saw a construction barrel and stole it. I mean, picked the darn thing up and took it, all the way into our dorm. We didn't know what to do with it, so we took it up to the fourth floor where the boys lived and planted the barrel in the middle of the hallway. Oh yeah, with ME inside of it. I had squnched up inside of it, waiting for a victim. My plan was to sit there until someone walked down the hall, and then move the barrel ever so slowly as to spook the unsuspecting victim. As soon as I heard someone coming, I went to nudge the barrel a little to the left... and noticed a HUGE and very scary spider about four inches from my face!!! I started screaming (no, wailing like a banshee really) and flailed in attempt to free myself from the barrel. As Cristina and Heather were watching from hiding, they came and rescued me from the spider... eventually. After I screamed a bit. We ended up placing the barrel in the men's bathroom. And no, none of us were hiding inside.
I can also remember when Hurricane Frances (or was it Ivan?) came through Athens and flooded the whole town. It rained like 5 inches in a couple hours, and the sewer system in Athens was so poor that the roads flooded immensely. Heather and I thought it would be awesome to go for a walk in the rain... which turned out to be a walk in a severe thunderstorm with lightning striking all around us and power lines popping everywhere. Then it turned into a half-mile sprint back to the dorm. But had we had enough of the weather? NO! We decided to grab like ten other girls, dress ourselves in bathingsuits, black trash bags, and swim goggles, and literally belly-flop/slip-n-slide down the hill next to our dorm. It was so fun that we didn't even notice our bloody knees from hitting rocks and crashing into sidewalks. Then once we noticed that Lumpkin Street was completely flooded (this road is a hill, mind you. So it was like 5 inches deep of water rushing down the road) we decided to go LAY in the ROAD and let the running water pour over us. Yeah, smart.
I also remember a time when Heather and I had visited her brother who lived over off Riverbend Road, which was about two miles away from our campus. We had driven there somehow but our driver had been drinking, and we wanted to get home. So, at 1am, what did we decide to do? WALK! Yes, that's right, walk! So here are two little blonde girls (we DID have a male friend escort us) walking down railroad tracks at one in the morning, trying to get back to campus. After an hour or so, we were starving... so, we called Papa Johns. And they gladly delivered us a pizza... to the side of the road. Only in a college town would this happen. And where did we eat this pizza? IN A CEMETERY BEHIND SANFORD STADIUM. Yes, that sounds like a great place. Let's just picnic on this mausoleum here...
I am also reminded of many great stories involving my wonderful little two-seater Honda that more often than not drove more than the two people for which it was intended. I am pretty sure in a late-night munchie run, I had both Heather and Cristina in my one passenger seat, and we were headed to Mecca (aka, the Taco Bell/Pizza Hut where you could get nachos AND breadsticks! AHHHH). And as I pull into the establishment, I was in 4th gear and turned to head up a short but very steep hill. And I promptly stalled the car. And then I rolled back into a Jeep... who got out and did nothing but giggle at my sheepishness and the TWO girls squished into my one little bucket seat. We exchanged contact info and as I got in the car, they both squealed... "Hottest guy ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Funny, I didn't even notice.
Well, I think four memories about college is enough for one post! :)

No comments:
Post a Comment