Background


Sunday, May 2, 2010

Which Shoe Fits?

When I was in elementary school, I remember my Target class (for you non-Cobb County natives, that was my school's gifted program) learning about the theory of multiple intelligences. For those of you who have NO IDEA what the heck I am talking about, the theory is based upon the idea that each person learns and understands through different manners and outlets. Some people are visual learners. Others are math people or hands-on people or people's people.

  • Visual-spatial (visual people)
  • Verbal-linguistic (word people)
  • Logical-mathematical (numbers people)
  • Bodily-kinesthetic (hands-on people)
  • Musical-rhythmic (musical people)
  • Interpersonal (people's people, extroverts)
  • Intrapersonal (self-aware people, introverts)
  • Naturalistic (the granola kids!)

In the aforementioned Target class, we, as inquisitive third graders, turned the process into a unit called "Which Shoe Fits?" where we tried to discover our learning type by essentially "trying on the learning type shoes" to see which one we thrived in. In third grade, I fell into the kinesthetic learning category (I remember this "shoe" was a tennis shoe).

This weekend I underwent facilitator training at work to learn how to run the team-building adventure course at the US National Whitewater Center. I didn't know what I was in for and had NO idea how psychological a ropes course can get. Who knew that being stressed about balancing a giant see-saw with multiple people on it could bring out the worst in people? Anyway, back to the subject. Again, we studied the theory of multiple intelligences. Each of us in the group picked what kind we identified with...
except I couldn't pick. I identified with ALL of them.

Go back up to the list. Most people are two or maybe three of those types. I identified with every single one. I would call myself both a numbers and a verbal person. I like both equally. I am visual because I have a semi-photographic memory. I learn something best by doing, which makes me hands-on, but my love for music surpasses everything else in my life. Interpersonal people get along well with others and are classified as extroverts. Check. Intrapersonal people really know themselves and understand their own strengths and weaknesses. Check again. And lastly, the naturalistic person understands their environment and identifies with nature. Check plus.

So part of this theory is that people should have traits that outshine others... not have an eight-way tie! Anyone else feel this way about themselves? Or is everyone a very specific type of learner? What shoe fits you best?

(... I WOULD be the one with the closet full of shoes instead of picking one type! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment