Background


Sunday, May 30, 2010

The Question Is...

Some of you know about my story of being involved in a bank robbery last year. No one was seriously hurt and we all survived, but it really changed my perspective on life after that.

When I graduated college I was very narrow minded: work, work, success, career, work some more. Then the bank got robbed and I learned a valuable life lesson: enjoy life. You don't have long to do so.

I ran into an old friend this past weekend while at WalMart. He asked what I was up to and I said: working at a job I love, making next to nothing, and spending all my time outdoors. He looked at me like I was crazy.

Maybe no one knows how liberating it is to have a job where it's not a dread to go to work everyday. It's like playing. Like having social time. Seeing all your best friends in one place. Would you rather have that or some huge fancy salary?

Today I drove through the Blue Ridge Mountains and pondered all the places in the world I want to visit. Pre-robbery Christen would have pushed them out of her mind but the new me, what feels like the REAL me, is going for it. I want to see the mountains and canyons and dark blue oceans and cliffs higher than I can imagine. I am going to go live my life. Question is: who's coming with me?

1 comment: