I loved this book because it touched on a subject which I always knew existed but never truly realized: in today's world, the really good, wholesome, men tend to be sissies. Seriously. The men who spend time volunteering, who devote time to their families, who love their wives unequivocably, who go to church regularly and are all around nice guys... they finish last. Let's face it. But why is that?
I love how the author of this book portrays God. I always think of God as some old man in the clouds, watching over us and making sure we don't stay out past our curfews or say swear words. Eldrege quotes Isaiah 63, which describes God wearing blood-stained clothes, spattered as though he had been treading a wine press. He stomps on entire nations in anger; he comes to battle with a sword in his mouth and his battle banner tattooed on his thigh. Eldregde writes: "Talk about Braveheart. This is one fierce, wild, and passionate guy. I have never heard Mister Rogers talk like that. Come to think of it, I never heard anyone in church talk like that, either. But this is the God of heaven and Earth."
Wait a second here. I thought that the good guys were supposed to be made in God's image... so men should really strive to be adventurous warriors?
Here's my female response: YES! Please! It's possible to be a nice guy AND a badass (excuse my crudity, the word was pertinent). When I think of "nice guys" do you know what I think of? Marines. Cowboys. Roman gladiators. Firefighters. In case you don't live in the modern era, girls tend to swoon for those types. Why? Because they are both chivalrous and courageous. Sweet but strong. Gentle yet grisly.
In conclusion, it's just the plain ol' nice guys who finish last. The ones that have heart, who are courageous and valiant, who will protect their families and stand up for their beliefs and seek out adventure... well... they are the nice guys who get the girl. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment