Background


Sunday, April 11, 2010

Choose Wisely

I like to write. A lot.
I also like to read. A lot.
Sometimes I forget these simple pleasures and replace them with other mundane tasks such as watching TV, going to work, sleeping... but never am I happiest as I am when I am engrossed in a new book or if I've just written a new essay.

A close friend asked me recently if I could do one thing as my career, salary and social recognition aside, what would it be? I thought for a moment (a brief moment, it wasn't hard to choose) and I replied, "I'd be a teacher."
"A teacher?"
"Yes," I replied. "I would love to be either a high school AP Literature teacher or an elementary school teacher of gifted students."
"Well, why don't you?" He asked.
"I... I don't know." I couldn't think of a reason WHY I am not a Lit teacher. Or a journalist. WHY am I going to school to get a Master's in Accounting when I could be getting a Master's in Literature? I don't hate accounting, but it's not my passion.

Perhaps my love of social recognition (in this case, manifested by securing some big-bad-corporate-80-hour-workweek job) has superseded my original love in life: literature. How could this be? Shouldn't people just do what they love with their lives? Will I feel more fulfilled in life if I am a CPA with a big salary working long hours and missing out on spending time with my family? Or would I be happier putting my entire effort into teaching others about the power of words and writing?

Choose, choose wisely.


So I leave you with this question: Why is it that people give in to social pressures OVER doing what we love?

1 comment:

  1. Society has created a perception that money and title are evidence of a successful person. Yet, I wonder how many of those people would say they regretted not spending more time with family, enjoying life, valuing the people in their life.

    In some ways its a catch-22. Not having enough money can cause stress and questions like "How are we going to pay for this and that." or "How are we going to make it." On the other hand, having too much money (some argue is not possible, but it's a matter of perception) can cause also cause stress. Rich people are constantly pestered for financial help, have to worry about people cheating them out of their money, and being fake friends just to get to their money.

    So how do we find the perfect balance? I don't know. But if you do what you are passionate about instead of what will only make you rich at least you may have one less regret.

    ReplyDelete